A bean sprouts machine, also known as a “sprouting machine,” or a “seed sprouter,” or a “bean sprouts maker,” is a device designed to make it easy to grow bean sprouts or seed sprouts at home. It creates ideal conditions for growing healthy, green, and chemical-free bean sprouts, making it a perfect addition to any health-conscious kitchen. This article will cover things you need to know about bean sprout machines, including how they work, how to use them, the types of beans that can be sprouted, and some models we recommend.
How Does a Bean Sprouts Machine Work?
A bean sprouts machine usually consists of two parts: an upper barrel or tray for growing the bean sprouts, and a lower barrel or container for holding water.
The machine maintains optimal temperature, humidity, and airflow conditions for the beans to sprout and grow healthily. The water in the lower container is typically used to keep the beans moist throughout the sprouting process. Some machines also have built-in timers, automated watering systems, and temperature control features for enhanced functionality.
How to Use a Bean Sprouts Machine?
Using a bean sprouts machine is straightforward:
- Wash the beans you want to sprout and remove any debris or damaged beans.
- Place the washed beans in the upper barrel or tray of the machine.
- Fill the lower container with water as instructed by the machine’s manual. Some machines require you to add water directly to the beans, while others use an automated watering system.
- Place the machine in a location with indirect sunlight or low light conditions, as direct sunlight may inhibit sprouting.
- Check the water level daily and refill as needed. Depending on the machine, you may need to change the water every few days to prevent bacterial growth.
- After a few days, you’ll start to see the beans sprouting. The sprouts are typically ready for consumption within 5-7 days, depending on the type of bean.
The three-minute video below demonstrates how to use a bean sprout machine to make healthy Mung Bean Sprouts in three days. The machine used in the video is from Bear, which we will introduce in the article below. Bean sprout machines from other brands work similarly.
What Kind of Beans Can Be Sprouted?
Various types of beans can be sprouted using a bean sprouts machine, including:
- Mung beans: These are the most common beans used for sprouting, producing the typical bean sprouts often found in Asian cuisine.
- Soybeans: Sprouted soybeans are rich in protein and can be used in salads or cooked dishes.
- Chickpeas: Sprouted chickpeas are nutritious and can be used in salads, hummus, or other recipes.
- Lentils: Sprouted lentils are a great source of protein and can be added to salads, soups, or stir-fries.
- Adzuki beans: These small red beans can also be sprouted and used in various dishes.
Please keep in mind that some red kidney beans, lentils and broad beans in particular contain a toxin that must be heated at high temperatures to prevent food poisoning. These beans should be soaked for at least 12 hours and can be sprouted prior to cooking, but it is imperative to never skip boiling with these types of beans.
When sprouting beans, you can use ordinary beans or special beans intended for sprouting. Ordinary dry beans are the type used for cooking and are not subject to any additional processing. Canned beans or beans that are too old cannot sprout.
Beans specifically designed for sprouting have undergone special cleaning and processing, making them less likely to promote the growth of pathogens, such as E. coli and Salmonella, under damp conditions.
Buying Guide for Bean Sprouts Machine
There are various types of sprout growing kits, each with its unique features:
- Tray-based systems: These kits consist of multiple stackable trays, allowing you to grow different sprouts simultaneously. They are easy to use and typically offer good airflow and moisture distribution.
- Jar-based systems: These kits use a jar with a mesh lid for sprouting, providing a simple and cost-effective solution. However, they may require more manual intervention for rinsing and draining.
- Automatic sprouters: These advanced systems feature built-in watering and temperature control mechanisms, making sprouting virtually effortless. They tend to be more expensive but offer the most convenience and consistency.
2. Size and Capacity
Consider the space available on your countertop and the amount of sprouts you’d like to grow at once. Smaller kits are ideal for those with limited space or who only want to grow a small quantity of sprouts. Larger kits with multiple trays are suitable for growing a variety of sprouts simultaneously or for those who consume sprouts regularly.
3. Material and Durability
Choose a sprout growing kit made from high-quality, food-safe materials like BPA-free plastic, glass, or stainless steel. This ensures a safe growing environment and increases the longevity of the kit.
4. Ease of Use and Maintenance
Opt for a sprout growing kit with a user-friendly design that is easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean. Automatic sprouters with built-in watering systems are particularly convenient, as they require minimal intervention during the sprouting process.
5. Seed Compatibility
Consider the types of seeds you’d like to sprout and ensure the kit you choose is suitable for those varieties. Some kits may work better for smaller seeds like alfalfa, while others may be designed to handle larger beans or legumes.
6. Price and Budget
Sprout growing kits come in a wide range of prices, from budget-friendly jar-based systems to more expensive automatic sprouters. Determine your budget and choose a kit that offers the best balance of features, quality, and affordability.
Our Top 5 Picks of Bean Sprouts Machines
1. Kitchen Crop VKP1200 Deluxe Kitchen Seed Sprouter
This sprout growing kit is well-made with BPA free plastic. The FDA approved food-grade polypropylene plastic is eco-friendly as well since it is made from recyclable materials.
It has a hydrophobic irrigation system that lets water flow through the trays. Sprouts in each tray are well-nourished without any drainage issues.
It comes with four 6 inch diameter clear growing trays, allowing you to grow multiple types of sprouts at once. It is also designed to accommodate up to 10 trays per base.
- 4 trays with space for up to 10 trays
- Hydrophobic water flow method
- Easy to use reservoir lid
- Built with BPA free plastic
- Dishwasher safe
- Unsuitable for smaller seeds like broccoli
- Hand clean could be a nuisance
2. Gardens Alive Seed Sprouter Kit
This product has clear trays that let you monitor the sprouts and allow sunlight in. The two-tiered seed sprouter features a stackable design that allows for efficient use of space and accommodates multiple types of seeds simultaneously. You will have the option of adding up to 4 more trays to the apparatus.
The trays are made from durable and food-safe materials. The design promotes proper airflow and moisture distribution, making it easier for seeds to germinate and thrive.
Since there are no extra complications in its functioning, it is the perfect tool to use with beginners, or even kids.
- Easy to use for beginners
- 2 trays and can accommodate 4 more
- Clear trays allow for sunlight
- Easy to view and monitor growing seeds and sprouts
- Relatively expensive
- Water might not drain completely
3. Chef’n Countertop Sprouter Growing Kit
This product features a sleek, space-saving design and easy-to-use as well. To use this sprouting kit, you just soak the seeds and drain into the catch tray. The patented air funnel design is built to encourage growth without decay. Rinsing is necessary once or twice a day, and the drain spout makes this process more convenient. Furthermore, the drain spout assures against splashing to help keep your kitchen cleaner.
The growing kit also includes a drip tray to collect excess water, preventing mold and bacterial growth, and a lid to protect the sprouts from dust and debris. The clear design of the trays allows you to monitor the progress of your sprouts easily.
- Sturdily built
- Attractive and stylish design
- Easy draining process
- Highly efficient ventilation system
- Only has one jar and no additional tiers
- Customer reviews mentioned that it is troublesome to use the kit for smaller seeds like broccoli
- Relatively expensive
4. Bear DYJ-B01C1 Automatic Bean Sprouts Machine
Bear, founded in 2006, is a Chinese manufacturer of small household appliances, like electric cookers, blenders, juicers, food processors, electric kettles, and more. Bear DYJ-B01C1Automatic Bean Sprouts Machine is made of purple sand. Its weight plate makes the bean sprouts grow thicker.
Bear’s products can be found at Huarenstore.com, a New York-based online retailer specializing in providing Chinese appliances to Asian style kitchens in U.S. and Canada. We also found Bear’s DYJ-B01C1 at Amazon, however Huarenstore.com often has a better deal.
DYJ-B01C1 is designed to fit comfortably on your countertop without taking up too much space. It is compatible with different types of beans, such as mung beans, soybeans, and adzuki beans, providing you with a variety of sprouts to enjoy in your meals.
The built-in watering and temperature control mechanisms make sprouting virtually effortless. This machine maintains the ideal environment for your bean sprouts to thrive, eliminating the need for manual intervention. Also, it uses a count-down timer by growing days, so you won’t miss the harvest day.
The removable trays and components make cleaning and maintenance simple, ensuring your bean sprouts grow in a clean and hygienic environment.
- Fully automated system
- Suitable for various beans
- Compact size
- Easy to clean
- No additional tiers
- Relatively expensive
5. Tribest Freshlife FL-3000 Automatic Sprouter
This automated sprouter features a built-in watering system and adjustable temperature control for sprouting. The machine automatically waters the seeds at regular intervals. The adjustable temperature control allows you to create the perfect environment for various types of seeds, ensuring the best possible sprouting results.
It also comes with multiple trays, allowing you to grow different seed varieties simultaneously. Its compact design makes it easy to fit on your countertop, while the transparent dome provides a clear view of your sprouts as they grow. The removable trays and components make cleaning and maintenance a breeze.
- Fully automatic watering
- Large growing area and expandable up to 3 trays
- Removable trays make it easy to clean
- VERY expensive
- Some reviews mentioned that it overwatered
A bean sprout machine is an excellent investment for anyone looking to incorporate fresh, nutritious sprouts into their diet. By understanding how these machines work, the types of beans that can be sprouted, and how to use them, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying homegrown bean sprouts in no time. Plus, with several high-quality bean sprout machines available on the market, you can find the perfect model that suits your needs and preferences. Embrace the benefits of sprouting at home and enjoy the fresh, healthy, and delicious bean sprouts that you can grow with your very own bean sprout machine. Happy sprouting!